Trout Cookies How-To
- No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Trout Cookie Cutter
- Royal Icing Mix
- 8 oz Squeeze Bottles
- Parchment Paper
- Assorted shades of food coloring
1. Make cookie dough according to recipe. Cut out several trout and tropical fish cookie shapes. Place on parchment paper. Bake and cool as directed.
2. While cookies are cooling make icing. Mix according to directions. To thin, add small amounts of water. One large drop at a time. Mix thoroughly until consistency is between heavy cream and ketchup.
3. Flavor icing if desired with lemon or almond oil or extract.
4. Divide icing out into several small bowls (depending on how many different colors you want). Dye each bowl of icing desired color. Pour icing into squeeze bottles or pastry bags.
5. Ice base layer of cookies.
6. To create marble effect, ice base layer color, then add a few lines drops of a different color onto the wet icing. Marble the two colors together with a toothpick. You can use multiple colors with this effect.
7. Let initial layer of icing dry to touch (30-45 minutes). Add second layer of icing to create 3D effect and to add any details (eyes, fins, etc).
8. Let cookies completely dry on parchment paper (overnight is best). Stack and store in an airtight container.