Owl Cookies How-To
You will need:
- Owl Cookie Cutter
- 1 bag Royal Icing mix
- Electric Green Food Color
- Electric Yellow Food Color
- Electric Orange Food Color
- No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Parchment Paper
- Squeeze Bottles
1. Make No Fail Sugar Cookie Dough. Cut out as many owl shapes as you can. Bake cookies on parchment paper and let cool on wire rack.
2. While cookies are cooling, prepare the royal icing (instructions on bag). After following the instructions, slowly mix in water a teaspoon at at time until a consistency somewhere between "heavy cream and ketchup" is reached. Divide icing into three separate measuring cups (cups with a spout work best). Dye icing desired color(s). We love the Electric Orange, Yellow and Green food colorings for these owl cookies. Fill squeeze bottles with icing - this is where the cup with the spout comes in handy! You can also mix in flavored oils to add extra flavor to the icing. We love lemon oil and almond oil.
3. Begin frosting each cookie, starting with a base layer. Let the base layer dry and then continue on with other details in other icing colors. Please view this link on our blog: Decorating with Royal Icing 101,to view some great tips and techniques for decorating with royal icing. Add sanding or sparkling sugar and even quins and sprinkles.
4. Let cookies dry overnight or for at least 6 hours until icing is firm to touch. Don't worry - your cookies will not dry out. The icing holds in the moisture.
5. Stack cookie and store in an airtight container until served.