Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- Ingredients to prepare mix
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Wilton Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 3 drops Wilton Blue Color Right Base Color
- 3 drops Wilton Orange Color Right Base Color
- 1 drop Wilton Yellow Color Right Base Color
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Garnish: 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare Easy Layers! 6 in. Square Cake Pan Set with vegetable pan spray.
Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Divide evenly into pans, smoothing with spatula so batter is even.
Bake 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on grid.
For icing, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until smooth. Add vanilla and mint extracts and colors; mix well. Gradually add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
To assemble, cut the crowns off of each cake layer. Place first layer on cake board or serving plate. Spread a layer of icing to edges of cake. Repeat with remaining cake layers. Cover top and sides of cake with icing. Garnish with chocolate chips.
Makes 8-10 servings.