Dark Chocolate Orange Cake
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- water, eggs and oil to prepare cake mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 ounces 60% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 4 ounces 60% dark chocolate, melted
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- vegetable pan spray
Makes: About 10 Servings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare Easy Layer Loaf Pans with vegetable pan spray.
2.In large bowl, beat cake mix, instant coffee, water, eggs, oil, and extract with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly between pans.
3. Bake 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on cooling grid 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on grid.
4. For ganache, combine cream and chocolate in medium microwave-safe container. Microwave at half (50%) power 1 minute; stir. Microwave on 50% power in 15-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is almost melted. Add orange extract and stir thoroughly until ganache is smooth.
5. For icing, beat butter and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate; beat until combined. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
6. To assemble, spread 1/4 of buttercream on first cake layer. Spread 1/4 of ganache over buttercream. Repeat with remaining layers, leaving sides of cake bare.