Citrus Burst Cake
Cake: Made with our 6" Easy Layers Cake Pan Set of 5.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups (about ½ lb.) sifted confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
- 1 jar (10 oz.) lemon curd
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare pans with vegetable pan spray.
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until
light and fluy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add
vanilla and citrus zests; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with
orange juice, beating until just combined. Divide evenly into pans.
3. Bake 18-21 minutes, rotating pans half way between baking. Cakes are
done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes
on cooling grid; remove from pans and cool completely.
4. For filling, beat shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer
until light and fluy. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating
well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When
all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add citrus zests, juice
and, if desired, liqueur; beat at medium speed until light and fluy.
5. To assemble, cut the crowns o of each cake layer. Place first layer on
cake board or serving plate. Spread a layer of icing to edges of cake.
Top with second cake. Spread a thin layer of lemon curd to edges.
Repeat, alternating layers of icing and lemon curd. On top cake, spread
a layer of icing, followed by a layer of lemon curd.
Makes about 8 servings. Equal to 1 box of cake mix. Could fit in a 9" x 13" cake pan.