Cheesecake Topped Brownies with Pumpkin Butter Swirl
Recipe & photo from Recipe Girl
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter (3 sticks)
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup pumpkin butter
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 12x17x1-inch baking pan (also known as a jelly roll pan/ or half sheet pan) with buttered parchment paper or foil.
2. Prepare brownie layer: Melt butter and chocolate in top of double boiler (or carefully- in short bursts- in the the microwave). Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk 6 eggs, brown sugar, and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar together. Stir in 3 Teaspoons vanilla, salt, melted butter/chocolate, flour and cocoa. Pour into prepared pan and spread to the sides.
4. Prepare cheesecake layer: Beat cream cheese using a mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add remaining eggs, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch; beat until smooth and dollop all over the chocolate layer. Gently use a spoon to spread out evenly over the chocolate, trying not to dig into the chocolate layer. If you're patient, it works out just fine.
5. Whisk together jam and pumpkin butter in a small bowl. Drop spoonfuls onto cream cheese layer and draw swirls using a knife. Try to stay inside the cream cheese layer only and don't pull up the chocolate with the knife.
6. Bake until center tests clean, about 40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
*It's best to cool these to room temperature, then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before cutting. You'll get the cleanest cuts that way.
*If you prefer, you can use Halloween-themed cookie cutters to cut out shaped brownies, but you'll have lots of tidbits leftover to munch on.