Vegan Maple Cakelets Recipe
Recipe by Daniella De Silva of ChickyTreats
Prep Time: 0:30 Bake Time: 0:20 Yields: 5-6 servings
- 1/2 cup almond coconut milk or soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon almond coconut milk or soy milk, add as needed
Prep and Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray your cakelet pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, add your almond coconut milk and vinegar and let it curdle for 5 minutes. Add the oil, vanilla bean paste, brown sugar and maple syrup to the curdled milk and whisk until combined. Place a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and sift into the wet mixture. Whisk slowly until the batter is combined.
Using a 1½ tablespoon scoop, divide your batter into each cavity until half way full. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and let the cakelets cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting on to a cooling rack. Cool completely before dipping into the glaze.
To make the glaze, add the powdered sugar, vanilla and maple syrup to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly add your milk of choice for your desired consistency. Dip each cakelet into the glaze being sure to let the excess drip off. Place the dipped cakelets on the cooling rack to set.